Mirrors are important elements, not just for home decoration but also as per Vastu Shastra. People who want to make their home Vastu-compliant, need to be cautious about the placement of mirrors in their homes, as it can be a source of positive or negative energy. Mirrors have a great impact on the overall vibe of your home, which makes it important to take proper precautions while deciding the right position of mirrors in your home, as well as in office.
Follow this guide to know about the right placement of mirrors at home. Also discussed are the dos and don’ts, when including mirrors in your home interiors.
Vastu tips for mirror placement in bedrooms
According to Vastu Shastra, avoid placing mirrors in bedrooms, for good health and peaceful life. However, if you have to keep the dressing table with a mirror in your bedroom, it should not face the bed or reflect the person on the bed. Also, if possible, cover or conceal the mirror in a wardrobe or cover it with a cloth, when not in use. As per bedroom Vastu guidelines, a mirror should not reflect the entrance of the bedroom.
Avoid designer beds which have mirrors on the headrest as it may cause restlessness to the occupants. Similarly, adding a mirror to the false ceiling, will reflect the bed and floor. Avoid this arrangement as it may cause stress. Do not place broken or rusted mirrors in the bedroom, as it attracts negative energy. If you have a dressing room attached to the bedroom, place the mirror on the north or eastern wall of the room.
Vastu tips for mirror placement in kids’ rooms
For your children’s room, make sure that no mirror is placed in front of the bed in your child’s room. Since mirrors are thought to bounce energy around the bedroom, this may cause restlessness in your child and amplify their stress. Mirrors can also sometimes create strange illusions, thereby, ridding the space of positivity.
Vastu tips for mirror placement in living rooms
If your main entrance opens into the living room, avoid placing the mirror in front of the entrance or entry gate of the house, as it will reflect back the energy entering the home. However, you can place the mirror in the foyer, above a console table that will also add a welcoming touch to your home. Place a mirror on the wall opposite the window in the living room on the north or east wall, to maximise the lighting in the afternoon.
Vastu tips for mirror placement in bathrooms
Place a mirror in a well-lit part of the bathroom. Do not position it against the lights as you may not be able to see clearly in the mirror. Place the mirror on the north or eastern wall of the bathroom. You can place a full-length mirror on the door but it should be affixed carefully. Do not place the mirror directly opposite to the toilet.
Vastu tips for placing mirrors in offices and shops
If you have a cash locker in an office or shop, you can place a mirror in front of it, to attract wealth and double the prosperity. Alternatively, you can keep the mirror inside the locker, in a way that it reflects the cash kept inside. Clean the mirror regularly and keep it stain-free. It should not reflect a distorted image of the locker. Also, avoid keeping a mirror such that it reflects your work desk, as it may double your workload.
Vastu for mirror placement on walls
|Mirror placement on the wall||Effects and tips|
|North||Avoid square-shaped mirrors|
|East||Avoid round-shaped mirrors|
|North-east||Ideal for round or rectangular-shaped mirrors|
|West||Ideal for square or round-shaped mirrors|
|South-east||No mirror should be placed here|
|South||Avoid placing any mirror here|
|South-west||Causes disharmony among family members|
Dos and don’ts for mirror placement
- Place mirrors or glass showpieces or other reflective surfaces, on the northern or eastern walls.
- Mirrors should be placed at least four to five ft above the floor.
- All reflective surfaces, including the television screen, should be placed in the south-east corner of the room. If possible, cover up the screen when not in use.
- Always keep all reflective surfaces clean. Make sure the mirrors are stain-free and one can see a clear reflection in it.
- The mirrors, when placed against the wall, should not be leaning forward.
- Do not place mirrors near the staircase.
- Always prefer translucent glass window panes and doors, instead of transparent ones.
- Do not keep the mirror near the study table as this may affect concentration.
- Never place two mirrors opposite to each other.
- Avoid oval and round-shaped mirrors and opt for square and rectangle ones.
- If there is any beautiful landscape outside your window, then, place the mirror exactly opposite to that window, as it ensures the positive energy and beauty of the landscape is replicated inside the home.
- You can place a mirror reflecting the dining table, as it symbolises the doubling of food and attracts wealth.
- If you have mirrors in the bathroom, then, make sure they are enough lights around it.
- Avoid transparent window panes in your home.
- If your home has a cut in any corner, you can place a mirror in that direction.
Concave vs convex: Which mirror should you use?
As per Feng Shui, there are different uses of convex and concave mirrors. A concave mirror ‘sucks in’ the negative energy and neutralises it.
A convex mirror is used when you want to reflect back the negative energy pointing at your home, be it the front door or any windows. Such mirrors promote the endless bouncing of negative energy.
Concave mirrors are more preferable to convex mirrors, because the negative energy is taken in, rather than being reflected outward, where it can affect those in the surrounding areas.
Negative effects of wrong mirror placement
- The south-east is the direction of fire. Placing a mirror in this direction increases the chances of quarrels and tiffs.
- Placing mirrors opposite to each other encourages restlessness.
- Mirrors should not the face north or east, as this reflects away the positive energy entering from these areas.
- Mirrors facing the bed can create health problems for the occupants.
- Mirrors facing the entrance or the entry gate of the house, reflects the energy entering the house.
Which direction should the mirror be placed?
It depends on the space you want to place it in. Check this article for more details.
Where should you place a mirror in the living room?
Avoid placing mirrors in front of the main entrance.
Can mirrors be placed in front of the main door?
No, mirrors should not be placed in front of the main door as it reflects the positive energy out of the home.