The kitchen, today, is the hub of activity in a modern home. Kitchens are well-designed areas with the latest gadgets, where family members are seen cooking, bonding together and even socialising with friends and family. Vastu Shastra, which advocates the design and construction of buildings in harmony with the natural laws of the universe, has several guidelines for the open and closed kitchen, so that the home has the right kind of energy and positivity. The atmosphere in the kitchen is very important, for the occupant’s health and other benefits, says Vastu Shastra and astrology expert, Jayshree Dhamani.
“Health is wealth and the correct position and placement of things, in the appropriate direction, matters according to Vastu Shastra. It is the fireplace which purifies the energy of the house and thus, the food cooked there is said to fuel and nourish the body. Hence the fire has to be placed in the perfect direction. Kitchens should not be in the north-east and south-west,” explains Dhamani.
Vastu for Kitchen
Vastu for open kitchen layout
The concept of open kitchen is gaining preference from a lot of Indian families, especially those who have lived abroad for several years. Here are a few Vastu tips for open kitchen layouts:
- The ideal zone for an open kitchen is the south-east, as both, the south and east, directions are dominated by the fire element.
- Open kitchen layouts in the north zone should be avoided, as it affects new opportunities in career, growth and money.
- The west zone is also considered good for open kitchen layouts. It promotes gains and good health, physically and financially.
Kitchen direction as per Vastu
According to Vastu, one’s home should have a proper balance of the elements of earth, sky, air, fire and water. “Fire or ‘agni devta’, is associated with the Sun, which symbolises energy and strength. As per Vastu, the placement of fire sources should be in the south-east direction. So, the kitchen should be in the south-east corner of the house and one should face east while cooking. West is an alternate neutral direction to face, while cooking. The sink should ideally be placed in the north-west zone of the kitchen. Place the water pots and water purifier in the north-east side,” says Mumbai-based Nitien Parmar of VastuPlus.
A clean, spacious and clutter-free kitchen is a must for good health and prosperity. The kitchen must have windows and be airy and have enough light. In order to avoid clutter and have ample space while cooking, the design of the kitchen should be minimal, with clean, simple lines. Storage space, as far as possible, should be on the west and south walls of the kitchen.
“Water dripping from a tap or a leaking pipe in the kitchen, denotes that wealth is being drained from one’s life and should be immediately repaired. Always keep the rice jar at home filled more than half for prosperity. Avoid keeping storage jars on old newspapers. Do not keep the dustbin in north-east of the kitchen and avoid cooking under an overhead beam,” adds Parmar.
See also: Vastu tips for choosing a new apartment
Dining room Vastu
It is not the kitchen alone that matters; even the dining area should be done as per Vastu Shastra. “The dining table should not be below a toilet on the upper floor. Dining tables should preferably be in the shape of a square or a rectangle, as they stand for stability. Avoid round or oval dining tables. Lights create positive energy. So, the dining area should not be dark. Keep a mirror near the dining table wall, as a mirror reflects and thereby, doubles the food visible, which represents abundance and wealth,” says Parmar.
Vastu colours for kitchen
Ideal colours recommended for the kitchen are green, lemon yellow and orange as these represent nourishing colours and colours of fire. Avoid using black, grey and blue colours in the kitchen. “In case one cannot have a separate pooja room, one can have a temple in the kitchen, in the north/east corner, provided one cooks vegetarian food. If non-vegetarian food is cooked, then, it is better not to keep a temple in the kitchen,” concludes Dhamani.
|Wall colours for kitchen||Represents|
|Yellow||Cheery and positive|
|Pastel shades||Warmth and love|
|Colours for kitchen cabinets, floors and slabs|
|Lemon yellow, orange or green cabinets||Freshness, good health|
|Ceramic tiles, mosaic or marble flooring||Positivity|
|Quartz or granite slabs||Balanced environment|
Vastu for kitchen: Dos and don’ts
Kitchen design and décor tips
- Avoid an all-white kitchen, as it can make the space look dull and cold. A kitchen should always look welcoming.
- Do not build too many cabinets in dark colours, as it can make the space look claustrophobic and overbearing.
- If you want a timeless look, avoid decorative decals as it may go out of trend very soon.
- Do not use dark colours in a small kitchen as it makes the space look smaller.
- High cabinets and low ceilings are not the best match, as one will shrink the perception of the other.
- If the stove and sink are close to each other, place a bone china vase between them as a Vastu remedy.
- Ensure that the windows open out to the east or the north for natural light.
- The floor colours of the kitchen should be yellow, orange, rose, chocolate or red.
- The kitchen design should be such that the gas burner is not right in front of the main door of the kitchen.
Most asked questions about kitchen Vastu
- Where should a gas stove be placed in the kitchen?
Stoves should be placed in the south-east direction, as this corner signifies fire.
- Where should the sink be placed in a kitchen?
The kitchen sink should be placed along the north or north-east direction.
- Which direction is the best for the kitchen?
South-east is the best direction for the kitchen.
- Where should I put my dustbin in my kitchen?
The south-west, the west or the north-west, are ideal directions to keep dustbins.
Where should be kitchen as per Vastu?
According to Vastu Shastra, fire sources should be placed in the south-east direction of the house. Hence, the kitchen should also be in the south-east and while cooking, one should face east.
Which colour is best for kitchen slab according to Vastu?
Ideal colours for kitchen platforms are yellow, orange and green.
How to remove Vastu dosh of kitchen?
Several Vastu defects relating to the kitchen can be addressed by using zinc metal pyramids and crystals of various shapes and sizes, in particular areas. One should consult a Vastu Shastra expert, for the placement of these objects.
Where to place dining table as per Vastu?
The dining table should never be placed below a toilet on the upper floor. On can sit facing the east, north or west side, with the head of the family on the east side, while other members can take the other two sides.