Choosing the perfect door for your home is not an easy task, especially when you have so many varieties to pick from. Before deciding on a door for your home, here is what you need to know about it:
Types of material used for room doors
Stylish doors can be bought from a variety of readymade options in the market, or it can be made to order. Depending upon the manufacturing material, here are some of the common door types that you can use at your home:
These doors are easily available in local markets, or can be made with the help of a carpenter. Wood and timber doors are ideal for the exteriors or the main door, as it is sturdier than any other material.
Glass doors are usually placed at the rear of the house, as it provides an unhindered view of the backyard or garden. These are usually heavier and more expensive than other doors.
Steel doors are a perfect substitute for wooden doors. Steel doors are long lasting, require minimum maintenance and are available in beautiful shades.
The benefits of PVC doors, are that they are termite-proof, durable, anti-corrosive, lightweight and moisture-resistant, as compared to other materials. They are also easier to install.
Different types of designer room doors
Framed and paneled doors
These types of doors are usually made of wood but the shutter panel is made of timber, plywood or hardboard, etc. These doors can be made with decorative designs, according to your preference.
French doors have frames of transparent panels and surrounded by translucent material or glass. They are often styled in different ways with an intention to maximise light in a room. Such doors have two hinge-hung doors that swing towards one another. French doors are ideal for music rooms, living rooms, master bedrooms, etc.
Folding doors are usually used in closets, laundry rooms and other kinds of small spaces, as they are perfect for compact areas, such as kitchen dividers. Such doors fold in different sides and sometimes work as perfect, unhindered, invisible partition between spaces.
These are the most commonly used regular doors in a home. With a completely flat design, these are quite affordable too. Flush doors are simple doors with smooth surfaces on both sides. Such doors are minimalist in style and can be used anywhere.
Sliding doors are very common, where the home owners intends to save valuable floor space. However, such doors need space at the left or right of each door. Sliding doors are usually made of glass, or wood and can work as house dividers while blending with modern décor.
These are commonly used, where space is limited. Unlike sliding doors, pocket doors can be slid into the wall itself, rather than the side of the wall.
Types of finishing for doors
Such finish is often used for solid wood doors, with adequate wood grain and in a variety of colours. Stain finish renders a warm, classic look that adds to the charm of living in bungalows and villas.
This is the most simple approach, to add a dash of colour and charm to interior doors and even to get them aligned with the harmony of your home. Many wooden doors are painted with a white base, which necessitates painting the interior doors with colours that are aligned with the overall décor of the house.
How to pick a door?
- Before selecting the door, decide its placement and whether you want the door to open inwards or outwards. Ideally, room doors should always open into the room and not outside, as it will hinder movement, whenever the door opens.
- The main door of the house should be placed such that visitors can see the home’s entrance. Choose a sturdy material for the main door and the gate as it will be difficult to undo and more secure.
- Position your doors and windows in such a way that it allows cross-ventilation in the house. For this, you have to ensure that the frame and the hinges are of high quality, so that there is no damage to the door due to the breeze.
Door design ideas in pictures
Here are some designs of different types of doors that you can choose for your modern / traditional homes. Most of these doors are for rooms, while few can be used as front doors, as well. The single-leaf door is the most commonly used variety in most homes. Nevertheless home owners can also find variations in the basic design, which you can pick to give your home a distinct look. For your bathrooms, walk-in wardrobes and other places where a little privacy is required, you can opt for frosted glass doors. Sliding doors are ideal for saving space, especially in the living room and dining space, or even in the kitchen.
- You cannot go wrong with simple, traditional wooden doors. And you don’t have to do much to make them look great.
A single sheet of veneer pasted on your door is enough to make it look good.
You can select a quiet veneer to go with the rest of your furniture or something with a bold grain to make the door stand out.
Trendy door design ideas for 2021
- Paint is a wonderful option if you do not want to go in for new wooden doors. It is the easiest, quickest and cheapest way to give your door a makeover.
- You can also experiment with the paint colour and geometric shapes. You can use patterns, to make your door design more interesting.
- Opt for beautiful designs in stencils to decorate your door, if you do not fancy art or painting. Pick a design and use the stencil to paint it in the centre of your door.
- You could choose not to highlight your door at all. If you are looking to carry a certain design along your wall, you could pretend the door does not exist and paint it like you would, if there had been no opening in that wall.
- Try various types of ornamentation to beautify your door. For example, paneled doors adorned with various moldings always look elegant and rich.
Colour ideas for doors
Doors are one of the first things that get your guest’s attention. Decorating it, is as important as decorating the walls. Picking an ideal colour for the doors, can make your home look more beautiful. Here are some colour combinations hand-picked by experts that can make your home look incredible:
|Door colour||Wall colour|
|Blue (tropical theme)||White, grey, yellow, purple, red, pink, green, marine colours and orange.|
|Yellow||White, black, blue, pink, brown, orange, green and grey.|
|Orange||White, yellow, black, grey and pastel shades.|
|Red||White, black, grey, marine colours and pastel shades.|
|Neutrals||Black, brown, white, yellow, orange, light shades of green and red.|
|Black||All colours and shades.|
|Purple||White, grey, muted purple, pink, yellow and green.|
What is the best material for the main door?
According to Vastu Shastra, the main door of the house should be made of wood. Some people also opt for steel doors for the main entrance, for security.
Where can I use glass doors in the house?
Frosted glass doors can be used in places where a little privacy is required, such as the bathroom in the master bedroom, for walk-in wardrobes, etc.