If you are a property owner in Tamil Nadu and rent out your home, office or shop, it is important that you apply for tenant verification application to the Tamil Nadu Police. This Tamil Nadu police verification certificate is issued, after checking criminal records for an individual. Such verification is all the more crucial, for landlords who are Indian nationals but reside outside India. This clearance certificate or character certificate can also be issued to foreign nationals residing in any area of Tamil Nadu through diplomatic missions.
How to apply for TN police verification certificate online
Step 1: Visit the TN Police verification services official portal (click here).
Step 2: Click on ‘Citizen Services (Paid)’ and choose ‘Police Verification’ from the drop-down menu.
Step 3: Choose ‘New Request’ from the menu. You will be redirected to a new page.
Step 4: Choose the ‘Service Type’ as ‘Tenant Verification’ from the menu and enter the mobile number and secure code. Verify your mobile number through OTP.
Step 5: Fill the TN police verification form and mention all the details of the applicant, i.e., the landlord, such as name, date of birth, email ID, permanent address, district/city and PIN code. Upload a photo identification of the applicant.
Step 6: Enter the details of the tenant and upload his passport-size photo, the address proof of the tenant and consent letter from the tenant to carry out this verification.
Step 7: After clicking the ‘Declaration’ checkbox, proceed for payment. For individuals, the verification fee is Rs 500 while for companies, the fee is Rs 1,000.
Step 8: Note down the application number generated, after the payment is processed. This number will be used for tracking the status of the TN police verification online.
Services offered on Eservices TN Police portal
Apart from tenant police verification certificate application, you can also opt for the following services on the TN Police verification portal:
- TN police self verification for visa purposes.
- Job verification for employee background check.
- Domestic help verification for safety purposes.
TN Police verification: List of details verified by the police
During the tenant verification process, the police will verify the following:
- Identity of the person.
- Present address.
- Involvement in criminal cases (according to the Tamil Nadu Police Department’s records).
How to check TN Police verification status
One can easily check the Tamil Nadu police verification status of the application online, under the ‘View status’ option under ‘Citizen Services’ menu, using the registered mobile number.
How to verify genuineness of police verification report?
Applicants can easily verify the genuineness of the police verification report by selecting the ‘verify’ option in the ‘Citizen Services’ menu. Enter the reference number mentioned on the document and the mobile number of the applicant.
See also: All about the draft model tenancy law
TN Police verification: Application rejection
There are chances that the applications for police verification may be rejected. This could happen because of any of the following reasons:
- The given photo does not match with the person to be verified.
- The address furnished is incorrect or untraceable.
- The mobile number of the person whose verification is sought, is not reachable.
- Even after reasonable attempts by the station staff, the person to be verified is not available at the given address.
- The person to be verified denies having given consent for verification or if the is consent letter of the person is not uploaded.
- Any reason, other than the above, deemed fit by the approving authority.
TN Police verification: Things to know
- While availing of paid services, if your payment has gone through successfully, your application will be processed in a couple of days.
- It takes around 15 days to generate the verification report. You can check the status online for more clarity.
- This facility is only for verification of persons residing in Tamil Nadu.
- The PVR application will be rejected if the information furnished is incomplete or incorrect, without any refund.
- Furnishing false information to the police is a punishable offence.
How can I get my TN police verification certificate online?
You can apply for a police verification certificate online by visiting the Tamil Nadu Police department’s Eservices website.
What is the cost for tenant police verification in Tamil Nadu?
The fee charged for individuals for police verification in TN is Rs 500 while it is Rs 1,000 for companies.